The importance of science and technology is recognized by Government of Malawi. The Government has established a Science and technology commission. It’s Science and technology policy promotes participation of all Malawians in the development and application of S&T with special emphasis on women, youth and other special interest groups.
Role of Malawian Youth in Science & Technology
- Campaign for strategic education in S&T
- Behaviour change
- Entrepreneurship engagement
- The AYFST-Malawi sensitisation forum was conducted in 2007
- The youth were sensitized on science andtechnology issues and were recruited into AYFST
- Participants were mainly drawn from educational institutions and research institutes
- AYFST was established with a national steering committee
- Composition of the steering committee was based on institutions and not individuals.
- The National Steering Committee was mandated to come up with an action plan
Objectives for AYFST Malawi
- Mobilize the Youth and empower them to harness ST&I for development in Malawi.
- Support and facilitate knowledge sharing and cooperation among Malawian Youth.
- Facilitate and promote youth engagement in agriculture, science and technology and social entrepreneurship programmes.
- Facilitate ST&I career mentoring for Malawian Youths by their senior colleagues.
- Promote Youth involvement in related ST&I project.
Challenges and recommendations
Since its inception in 2007 progress has been slow for the AYFST in Malawi, due to lack of adequate support from key institutions, the absence of a secretariat and the transient nature of the youth demographic with several members proceeding for further studies, employment and in search of business opportunities. The following are the recommendations for improvement:
- Learn from AYFST-Malawi progress
- Establish a secretariat within an institution:Department of science and technology
- Garner support from institutions
- Increase awareness and networking
- Take advantage of funding opportunities that have been created for the youth: Push for support of entrepreneurship projects thatmake use of science and technology